Graduation / Academic Program of Study

Degrees, Majors and Minors

Students should declare and make any changes to their academic programs via MyCharleston using the Program of Study Management (POSM) channel on the Academic Services tab before applying to graduate.  E-mail if you need assistance.

Students pursuing more than one Program of Study

Students who plan to pursue more than one degree (i.e. BA and BS), should should review the Second Bachelor's Degree policy that is available in the Undergraduate Catalogs beginning with the 2008-09 Catalog (see Second Bachelor's Degree Policy under Academic Regulations).

Change to Programs of Study after Application for Graduation

All undergraduate students must declare all majors (concentrations, cognates, and tracks, if applicable) and minors, regardless of when completion of these programs of study is intended, prior to applying for graduation. Students who have applied to graduate who need to update their program of study should use the Graduation Update Form (PDF).  Contact the Registrar's Office if you need assistance.

Degrees Offered

Undergraduates may earn the following degrees:

  • Artium Baccalaureatus (AB)
  • Bachelor of Science (BS)
  • Bachelor of Arts (BA)
  • Bachelor of Integrated Studies (BIS) 
  • Bachelor of Professional Studies (BPS)

Contact the department or see the Undergraduate Catalog for more information.

Major Requirements

In addition to completing all of the General Education and Institutional Requirements outlined in their academic catalog, students must also complete the requirements for their chosen major, including having a major GPA of 2.000* or higher. Students should contact their major advisor for assistance with major requirements. Changes to declared majors (declaring/undeclaring) should be made via MyCharleston using the Program of Study Management (POSM) channel on the Academic Services tab prior to applying for graduation.  Your major GPA will be included on your Degree Works degree audit online.

Students should always confer with their advisor concerning major requirements, however, information regarding majors at the College is also available in the Undergraduate Catalog, in the Degree Works degree audit in MyPortal, and on the Program of Study Resources web page.

*Some programs/majors require a higher GPA – see the department for assistance. Required major GPA is noted on the degree audit.

Minor Information

Minors are not required for graduation*; however, students who have declared a minor must be on target to complete all requirements for that minor (including minor course GPA of 2.000 or higher) along with all other graduation requirements before being cleared to graduate. Students should declare or undeclare minors via MyCharleston using the Program of Study Management (POSM) channel on the Academic Services tab prior to applying to graduate. Program advisors in each minor should be consulted for assistance with minor requirements. Once students have completed (or registered for) all requirements for the minor, they should check their Degree Works degree audit in MyPortal.  Additional important information concerning minors and concentrations (including institutional requirements and restrictions) can be found in the Academic Catalogs (see Academic Regulations/Degree Requirements/Concentrations and Minors).

*Some majors require a minor for completion. Students should consult their major department for assistance if needed. If declared, the minor GPA is listed in the Degree Works degree audit.