CofC Logo

Coursework Elsewhere

Coursework Elsewhere (requesting to take courses at another school)

A degree candidate at the College of Charleston who wishes to receive College of Charleston credit for courses taken at another institution must complete the appropriate Coursework Elsewhere form available on the Forms page of the Registrar’s website.  Students should consult with their academic advisor about plans to take courses elsewhere before submitting the completed form to the Registrar’s Office.  

In order to ensure that the courses will be accepted at the College of Charleston for transfer credit, they must be approved in the Registrar’s Office before actual enrollment. To be eligible for transfer credit, courses must be taken at an institution that is regionally accredited and must be courses that would receive credit towards graduation at the other institution (i.e. not developmental courses). Duplicate courses (repeats) will not transfer.

Official permission to take coursework elsewhere is reflected on the student’s unofficial transcript in MyCharleston as a College of Charleston course with a grade of “PT” (pending transcript). Students should note that permission to take the requested course(s) is not confirmation of how/if the course(s) will fulfill degree requirements. Permission only confirms the College of Charleston course equivalent(s) approved by the faculty. Students should therefore pay close attention to the way the course has been approved for transfer credit, verifying the approved College of Charleston equivalent is what he/she desires and/or the course is not a repeat of already earned credit. Students should also be aware that a course “Under Evaluation,” “Needs Syllabus,” or “Needs Course Description” is not guaranteed to transfer. Unofficial transcripts in MyCharleston should be checked periodically for updates that will be posted after an evaluation of the course for potential transfer credit has been completed.

Once coursework elsewhere permission is posted on the unofficial transcript, students should send the Transient Permission form (available on the Forms page of the Registrar’s website) to the institution where the course will be taken, if proof of permission to register as a transient student is required by the institution. A printed copy of the Degree Works degree audit and/or unofficial transcript, showing the courses approved for transfer, should be attached to the Transient Permission form. Students should contact the Division of Student Affairs, Office of the Dean of Students, at 843.953.5522 if the other institution requires the submission of a Letter of Good Standing.

Acceptance of credit for an approved transfer course will become final only when the Registrar of the College of Charleston receives an official transcript of the student’s record from the accredited institution where the course was taken. A final transcript is required from each college or university attended, whether or not credit was earned or courses completed. Please have an official transcript sent from the school(s) you attended to the College of Charleston | Office of the Registrar | 66 George Street | Charleston, SC | 29424.  For schools who offer electronic transcript submission, the e-mail address is

Coursework completed at other institutions must have a minimum grade of “C” (2.000 on a 4.000 scale) to be awarded transfer credit. Courses graded on a pass/fail basis are acceptable only if the institution where the courses were completed indicates in their published grade scale information that a “Pass” grade is the minimum equivalent of “C” (2.000 on a 4.000 scale). Credit hours awarded will reflect the hours of credit the other institution would have awarded the course, however credits awarded at another institution as a result of placement testing are not acceptable.

The maximum number of transfer credits acceptable toward a College of Charleston A.B., B.A., or B.S. degree is ninety (90) credit hours, including all credits earned by examination (e.g. Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate). The maximum number of transfer credits that may be applied to the requirements for a College of Charleston B.P.S. degree is eighty-seven (87) credit hours, including all credits earned by examination. The maximum number of transfer hours earned at a two-year institution that may be applied to the requirements for all College of Charleston bachelor’s degrees is sixty (60) credit hours.

Effective with courses taken Fall 2015 forward, students may decline transfer credit in order to take a course at another institution without going over the maximum hours of transfer credit allowed

NOTE: College of Charleston transfers credit hours only, not grades.  Taking courses at another institution has no effect on a student's College of Charleston GPA.

Coursework Elsewhere During Senior Year

The senior year of work for the degree must be completed in residence at the College of Charleston. However, candidates who have earned a minimum of 30 credit hours at the College of Charleston may petition to complete up to 7 of their final 37 credit hours at another institution or by CLEP exam by submitting the Coursework Elsewhere during Senior Year Petition Form (Senior Petition), available on the Forms page of the Registrar's website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Coursework Elsewhere Form Frequently Asked Questions