Section 59-101-430 of the South Carolina Code of Laws, as amended in 2008, requires that, to attend a public university in the state, a student must be a citizen or national of the United States or an alien lawfully present in the United States. College of Charleston is required to verify the status of all students prior to their enrollment. The Board of Trustees of the College has approved a verification process to comply with the law.
Students must provide proof of lawful presence in the United States before being allowed enrollment at the College. The Board of Trustees of the College of Charleston has approved a verification process to comply with the law. Verification policies and procedures can be viewed here.
If you have submitted a FAFSA form, you will be verified and you do not need to complete the Verification of Lawful Presence in the United States form.
If you have not submitted a FAFSA form, please complete the Verification of Lawful Presence in the United States form and deliver the original, with a photocopy of your proof document, in person or by mail, to the Registrar’s Office.
Proof of Lawful Presence documents:
- South Carolina Driver’s License or identification card if it was issued after January 1, 2002. The College may verify the validity of the license with the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Current and valid Driver’s License or identification card from one of the following states: (If your state is not on this list, it is not eligible.) Alaska, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, or Wisconsin.
- Current U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport that has not been expired more than 10 years
- Certified Birth Certificate indicating you were born in the United States or a territory of the United States, with your given name and surname, date and place of birth, date birth record was filed and the seal or other certification of the official custodian of the certificate. Find out where to request your Birth Certificate here.
- Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)
- Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS Form N-550 or N-570)
- U.S. government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Unexpired U.S. Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military ID card (DOD DD-2)
Students who are taking only online courses
You must complete the original signed, notarized copy of the attached Affidavit Regarding United States Citizenship. This original signed, notarized copy can be mailed to the Registrar's Office or delivered in person.
Office of the Registrar
Lightsey Center 2nd floor
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Lightsey Center 2nd floor
Charleston, South Carolina 29424