Follow the links below for more information on each topic. Undergraduates seeking to earn a bachelor's degree may find this information helpful to get on track for successful graduation and commencement eligibility. Students should always confer with their academic advisor to ensure that they are on track to graduate as planned.
Keep in mind that graduation = completing ALL requirements for an academic program (also referred to as program of study or curriculum) and is discussed separately from commencement eligibility. Follow the Commencement Ceremony Eligibility and Senior Information Website links (below) for detailed commencement and senior event information.
In order to graduate, ultimately, each student must:
- Complete all General Education and Institutional Requirements.
- Complete all Major and Degree Requirements (including concentration/cognate or minor if applicable).
- Apply for Graduation via MyCharleston (click on Apply for Graduation for more information or MyCharleston to apply via Banner Self-Service)
***GRADUATION APPLICATION IS REQUIRED BEFORE A DEGREE CAN BE AWARDED***
Click on the "Apply for Graduation" link for application availability and deadline dates. To apply after the deadline a paper form will be required and the $25 late fee* will be added to your regular graduation fee. Contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance if needed. Follow the Commencement Ceremony Eligibility link below to determine the ceremony in which you may participate.
*$25 LATE FEE (non-refundable) if the Graduation Application is submitted after the deadline – spring/fall only. Late applications are available in the Office of the Registrar or contact Graduation@cofc.edu to have one emailed to you.
- Pay the Graduation Fee (after you apply to graduate - pay via your MyCharleston account just as you would any other academic fee)
- Review Diploma information (includes replacement information)
To help ensure successful completion of the requirements for graduation and commencement eligibility, students are advised to:
- Review their DegreeWorks Degree Audit with their advisor and determine an expected graduation term.
- Review Graduation Status Notification (will be sent exclusively to your college-issued email account (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com))
- Review Commencement Ceremony Eligibility information
- Ceremony details can be found on the Senior Information Website
The Senior Information Website has the most up-to-date information available concerning commencement, diploma deadlines and availability and related senior events. If the information you require is not yet on the website, please bookmark and check back--it will be! Information is usually available in February for the May ceremony and in September for the December ceremony. Only eligible graduation candidates who have properly applied and been pre-cleared to graduate can take part in commencement. Check Commencement Ceremony Eligibility link above for more information.
- Graduating with Honors (Latin Honors)
- Graduation Update (if you have applied and need to change your graduation term, diploma address or other information)
- Second Bachelor's Degree Policy (beginning Fall 2008)
The Office of the Registrar strongly desires to be accurate and up-to-date with website information, however, this website is not a substitute for advising. Students should refer to the undergraduate catalog and work with their academic advisor to ensure successful graduation. Please report errors or send comments to the Graduation Assistant.
GRADUATE STUDENTS (Master's Candidates)
Masters candidates should apply to The Graduate School at the College of Charleston