Graduation Information (Undergraduate)
Undergraduates seeking to earn a bachelor's degree may find this information helpful to stay on track for successful graduation and commencement eligibility. Students should always confer with their academic advisor to ensure that they are on track to graduate as planned. Follow the links below for more information on each topic.
Keep in mind that graduation = completing all requirements for an academic program (also referred to as program of study or curriculum) and is discussed separately from commencement eligibility. Follow the Commencement Ceremony Eligibility and Senior Information website links for detailed commencement and senior event information.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GRADUATE?
In order to graduate, ultimately, each student must:
- Complete all General Education and Institutional Requirements.
- Satisfy the First-Year Experience requirement, when applicable.
- Complete all major and degree requirements (including concentration/cognate or minor if applicable).
- Apply for Graduation via MyCharleston (click on Apply for Graduation for more information or login to MyCharleston to apply via Banner Self-Service which is located on the Academic Services tab)
To help ensure successful completion of the requirements for graduation and commencement eligibility, students are advised to:
- Review their Degree Works degree audit with their advisor and determine an expected graduation term.
- Review Graduation Status Notification (will be sent exclusively to your college-issued email account (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Review Commencement Ceremony Eligibility information
- Ceremony details can be found on the Senior Information Website
HOW DO I APPLY TO GRADUATE?
A graduation application is required before a degree can be awarded.
- Click Apply for Graduation for application availability and deadline dates. To apply after the deadline a paper form will be required and a $25 late fee will be added to your regular graduation fee. Contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance if needed. Follow the Commencement Ceremony Eligibility link below to determine the ceremony in which you may participate.
- A $25 LATE FEE (non-refundable) will be applied if the Graduation Application is submitted after the deadline – spring/fall only. Late applications are available in the Office of the Registrar or contact Graduation@cofc.edu to have one emailed to you.
- Pay the Graduation Fee (after you apply to graduate - pay via your MyCharleston account just as you would any other academic fee)
- Review Diploma information (includes replacement information). All diplomas will be mailed 4-8 weeks after degree conferral.
SENIOR INFORMATION WEBSITE AND COMMENCEMENT ELIGIBILITY
The Senior Information website has the most up-to-date information available concerning commencement, diploma deadlines and availability and related senior events. If the information you require is not yet on the website, please bookmark and check back--it will be! Information is usually available in February for the May ceremony and in September for the December ceremony.
Only eligible graduation candidates who have properly applied and been pre-cleared to graduate can take part in commencement. Click Commencement Ceremony Eligibility for more information.
- Graduating with Honors (Latin Honors)
- A Graduation Update form is required if you have applied and need to change your graduation term, diploma address or other information.
- Second Bachelor's Degree Policy (beginning Fall 2008)
This website is not a substitute for advising. Students should refer to the undergraduate catalog and work with their advisor to ensure successful graduation. Please report errors or send comments to the Graduation Coordinator.
GRADUATE STUDENTS (Master's Candidates)
Masters candidates should apply to The Graduate School at the College of Charleston