Graduation with Honors
Requirements effective beginning with Spring 2008 Graduates
Cumulative GPA Requirements for Latin Honors
- 3.900 to 4.000 Summa cum laude
- 3.750 to 3.899 Magna cum laude
- 3.500 to 3.749 Cum laude
To be eligible for graduation with honors, at least 62 quality* hours (QHRS) of the coursework to be applied to the degree must have been completed at the College of Charleston. All coursework taken at the College of Charleston will be included in the calculation of the GPA for graduation with honors.
*Note that a course graded with a "P" carries no quality hours.
Latin Honors Recognition at Commencement
Latin Honors recognized at Commencement are presumptive and are based on the cumulative GPA that the student has earned in the term prior to the graduation term (i.e., before graduation term grades are posted). Both completed and enrolled hours* taken in residence at College of Charleston are taken into consideration, as well.
*Cumulative quality hours + enrolled hours must equal 62 or higher to qualify - courses graded with a "P" do not carry quality hours and are not included.
- Students who have applied to graduate in Fall 2015 and are preliminarily pre-clearing (on track to meet all graduation requirements) for graduation will be recognized for Latin Honors in the Fall 2015 Commencement Ceremony. Summer 2015 graduates who are eligible for the December ceremony will also be recognized for Latin Honors based on their graduating GPAs.
- Students who have applied to graduate in Spring 2016 and are preliminarily pre-clearing (on track to meet all graduation requirements) for graduation will be recognized for Latin Honors in the Spring 2016 Commencement Ceremonies.
- Students who have applied to graduate in Summer 2016 will NOT be recognized for Latin Honors in the May 2016 Commencement Ceremonies. However, if requirements are met upon actual graduation, Latin Honors will be denoted on the diploma and official transcript.
- Students who graduated in Summer or Fall 2015, and have not participated in a Commencement Ceremony, will be recognized for Latin Honors in the May Ceremonies, based on their graduating GPAs.
Students who are recognized for Latin honors at commencement will receive an honors medallion on a maroon ribbon to wear at the ceremony. The Office of the Registrar will have these available for graduates at the ceremony during line-up.