Required for all degree seeking students
What is the Graduation Application?
The Graduation Application is required before a degree will be posted to a student's academic record. It informs the Office of the Registrar (and other College offices) of the term a student intends to graduate. The application provides the Office of the Registrar with critical information about a student's chosen academic program; including degree, major, (concentrations, minors, etc. if applicable), expected graduation year and term. It also establishes a diploma address* and adds the graduation fee to the account of the applicant.
The Graduation Application also puts the student's name on the Office of the Registrar's graduation (diploma order, degree posting) and commencement** (commencement program, ceremony tickets) lists. Failure to complete the application promptly can result in a delay in both degree posting and diploma ordering. It can also result in the student's name being omitted from the commencement program and other commencement lists.
*Address where the diploma will be mailed after graduation **Participation in commencement is assumed and encouraged, however, it is not mandatory.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR GRADUATION?
- Login to MyCharleston
- Go to the MyForms tab
- Click and complete the Graduation Ceremony Drug and Alcohol Policy Acknowledgement form
- Once you have completed the Graduation Ceremony Drug and Alcohol Policy Ackowledgement form, return to MyCharleston
- Select the Academic Services tab
- Look for the Banner Self-Service channel and click the folder
- Select Student
- Select Student Records
- Select Apply to Graduate. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- You will also be asked about ceremony attendance but this is so that we can better prepare for the ceremony; it does not preclude you from changing your mind or commit you to participation.
- Be sure to review your application for accuracy before submitting it. Click the SUBMIT REQUEST button to activate your application. You will see a Graduation Application Confirmation page which will confirm that your application has been submitted (you will not get an email). There will be a link at the bottom of that page where you can go to view your submitted application(s). If you have more than one curriculum you'll need to go back and apply for it as well if you intend to complete it in the same term.
The Graduation Application can be submitted only once per program of study (aka: curriculum). If you have two (or more) majors, please follow the directions for applying carefully. Contact the Registrar's Office if assistance is needed. Please note that your complete program of study (including degrees, majors, minors, concentrations, etc.) must be properly declared before you apply to graduate.
What if I encounter problems?
The Banner Self-Service on-line graduation application deadline for fall graduation is October 1* and the deadline for spring graduation is February 1*. See the Late Application paragraph below for more information. See "When to Apply" below for dates* of availability. If you encounter problems when you apply or if you have questions about your graduation application, please send an email to Graduation@CofC.edu for assistance.
*dates subject to change without notice
How to change my graduation application (once submitted)
Students needing to change any graduation information (i.e. expected graduation term, diploma mailing address, modification to program of study, etc.) after submission of graduation application must complete the Graduation Update form to inform the Office of the Registrar of such changes. Note: Students are not eligible to register for classes past the expected graduation term.
Late Application (after deadline)
Students who miss the deadline for applying via MyCharleston may still apply by submitting a hard-copy Late Graduation Application form. The form is available in the Office of the Registrar, or may be requested via e-mail. Please note that a $25.00 late fee is charged to the account of late applicants, in addition to the regular graduation fee. Both fees are non-refundable and non-transferable to another term. Students should review their degree audit and/or confer with their advisor to be sure they are on track to graduate as planned before submitting the late application.
During the graduation application process, a Graduation Fee will be added to the student's account. Contact the Treasurer's Office if you have questions about payment options or deadlines. The Graduation Fee is a one-time, non-refundable fee that must be paid prior to graduation, regardless of whether or not a student participates in commencement activities.
Students completing multiple majors will need to complete the Graduation Application for each major. If completing a second major in a different term than the first, students should be sure to select the appropriate graduation year/term. Choosing more than one graduation term will affect commencement and diploma ordering. Students needing assistance are encouraged to contact the Office of the Registrar. See the Commencement site for more information about ceremony eligibility and participation.
Students entering under or using the 2008/09 catalog or subsequent year's catalog who plan to pursue more than one degree should review the Second Bachelor's Degree Policy.
Students should apply to graduate online via MyCharleston during their senior year, no later than the graduation application deadline. A Graduation Application is REQUIRED before a degree will be awarded.
|Expected Graduation Term||Apply Beginning***||Deadline for Applying via MyCharleston/Banner Self-Service***|
|Fall||August 15||October 1|
|Spring||December 15||February 1|
|Summer (includes Maymester, May Evening and Summer I, Summer II and Summer Evening)||May 15||August 1 (late fee does not apply)|
Summer graduation candidates who need to apply to graduate sooner than May 15 may contact the Office of the Registrar for a paper Graduation Application form.
Failure to complete the Graduation Application in a timely manner will result not only in a $25.00 late fee (fall/spring), but may also cause delays in posting a student's degree and ordering his/her diploma. It may also result in the omission of the student's name from the Commencement Program and other important graduation lists. To avoid these issues, students are urged to apply before the deadline!
***Dates of operation are subject to change without notice. Contact the Office of the Registrar with any problems.
COMMENCEMENT PARTICIPATION DOES NOT EQUAL GRADUATION
Graduation = Completion of all requirements for a degree program.
- There are three graduation terms: Fall, Spring, and Summer (which includes Maymester, May Evening, and all Summer terms)
- The Graduation Application is term specific. Apply for the term in which you will complete your last required coursework.
Commencement = Ceremony
- There are two commencement ceremonies: December (a.k.a. Fall/Mid-Year) and May (a.k.a. Spring).
- Participation is assumed, but not required.
- Once a student applies and is pre-cleared to graduate in the eligible term, his/her name will appear on the commencement lists.