About the Office of the Registrar
The mission of the College of Charleston Office of the Registrar is to develop and maintain effective processes, procedures, and services necessary for the accurate and timely creation, maintenance, storage, auditing, transmission, and retrieval of student academic records from matriculation to graduation.
- The College of Charleston Office of the Registrar will preserve the integrity of the institution’s academic record by upholding the academic policies of the institution and insuring compliance with state and federal regulations.
- The Office of the Registrar will strive to provide exemplary service by continually improving and technologically innovating our business processes for registration, scheduling, academic records, graduation, transfer credit evaluation, degree audit, and related functions.
- The Office of the Registrar will create and maintain a service-oriented office environment that encourages collaboration and cooperation with the constituencies it serves.
- The Office of the Registrar will treat every person with courtesy and respect while providing quality, professional service in every transaction.
What Does the Office of the Registrar Do?
The Office of the Registrar (RO) provides many services to enrolled students and alumni for the College of Charleston. This list highlights several of the services we provide but they are not necessarily limited to the items below. The RO:
- protects student rights as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- upholds academic policy in the maintenance of student academic records
- maintains, preserves, and disseminates students’ official academic records
- complies with and educates the campus on State and Federal policies relating to student records
- develops and publishes the College's academic calendar in collaboration with Academic Affairs
- maintains the course inventory and schedules course sections (including final examinations)
- evaluates transfer credit for incoming and continuing students
- manages the undergraduate student program of study declaration process (POSM)
- clears students for graduation and posts degrees
- issues diplomas to students who have earned degrees
- produces the undergraduate and graduate academic catalogs
- maintains and produces student transcripts in partnership with Credential Solutions
- manages Banner (student system) processes and security access for student data
- maintains requirements of the Degree Works degree audit system
- reviews and maintains inventory and fire code policy of classrooms on campus
- schedules classrooms on main campus for course sections and academic events
- provides quality customer service in assisting students, alumni, faculty and staff in person, over the phone, and by email
- ensures compliance with State regulations for Verification of Lawful Presence for all US students enrolled at the College
- assists in the implementation and maintenance of the student information software used on campus
The Registrar's Office at the College of Charleston is an active member of AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers) and CACRAO (Carolinas Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers).